Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A day at IPL...

It was yet another hot day at Chennai, when I was about to sleep, my mobile cried. “Machiiii, enna panra” That was the voice I had been longing to hear for about a year. That was the voice which had answers for the lost fun in my life. That was unmistakably the voice of Kumaresh. Life is full of fun when he is around; say it a resort, a long trip, a movie, beach, cricket…… he has plans“Hey dude, whats up? When did you come?” was the reply.

Kums: Forget that, lets meet up and go to IPL.

Me: I have never seen a Cricket match on the ground dude. You know that.

Kums: Deeiii this is IPL. And the kid has got the tickets next to cheerleaders.

(The kid was obviously Bannu, who got the name for not only his innocent looks but also his character)

Me: That’s really tempting, but no use sitting near Chennai Cheerleaders. I really hate them flaunting their clothes when half the country is in destitute poverty, with no clothes to wear

Kums: Deeiiii this is near Punjab cheerleaders.

Me: Ohh!!! I am on my way

People who don’t know the ABC of a cricket might wanna watch one after seeing those semi-clad cheerleaders. They definitely attract more crowd than MS DHONI. Yours truly wasn’t any different.

13 of us went to the match. The stadium was packed to the fullest, with everywhere people blaring loud pipes and music being played in the back ground. And we were watching with awe when the Punjab cheerleaders came and climbed the podium. When I felt they looked damn hot, I heard Niranjan saying “Machi, they are hot da”. Every one of us was petrified, stupefied. It was the moment of truth that dawned upon us. Niranjan’s roomies have achieved in 10 months what we haven’t been able to in 4 years. Niranjan was no more a boy he was a man. However Harish was skeptical about this transformation. He said “No he doesn’t mean it. It is just a phrase he had overheard and mugged from some conversation.”

Me: What do you mean by “they are hot?”

Njn: Well... Well... They are very white.

Kums: Then?

Njn: Their face..., it’s pretty

Harish: What else?

Njn: What “What else?” They are white and their faces look beautiful. What do you mean by what else?

Me: What else made you say they are hot?

Njn: What else is there? I don’t see anything else. I don’t think my vision is impaired?

Harish: See I told you he is still the same. He has not grown up.

Njn: No I am grown up. I look at gals.

Me: Well yeah… you have the flair to... But there is something more you gotta learn...

Njn: I know all the stuff... What else I gotta learn?

Kums: Well they can’t be taught. You gotta learn them on your own...

Njn: Nooo I am grown up. I know stuff...

Chennai was the first to bat and a wicket had fallen. I and Kums stood up to have a clear view of the cheerleaders dancing. “Hey dude, Wont they turn and dance to our side”, Kums asked. “I hoped they would dude”. When we were sincerely discussing about the cheerleaders Bannu asked “Why are you guys cheering for Punjab?” “Well we aren’t cheering them, between what made you think so?” Kums said. “Well you both are standing” That’s when we realized that we were the only guys standing in the whole crowd. “No we were just looking at the giant screen to see whether it was a clean catch”. Bannu wasn’t very convinced with the answer.

To our dismay Chennai played really well hardly giving any chance for the cheerleaders to dance. That was when I got the phone call which I can’t evade. “Hey hi, what’s up?” was the question, “Nothing much just came to watch IPL with guys...”, “Ohh you went to see the match... Drooling over the cheerleaders I guess?” Now I gotta answer carefully one wrong answer and my day would be doomed. “Cheerleaders no I can hardly see them, we came late and the seats were already occupied near them” Another wicket fell and I again stood up to have clear glimpse of the cheerleaders. “Good” was the reply. There was a sense of satisfaction in the voice. “It’s too noisy here, can’t hear much. Will call ya later” I said feeling exonerated.

The match was over, Punjab lost the match and Chennai cheerleaders started dancing like anything. We were very pissed off… if Punjab had won their cheerleaders would have made a similar dance “Damn screw the match it’s the worst I have ever seen”, I said.”No value for money” said Kums. “What? The match was too close dude. It’s the best match I have ever seen. Balaji took a hat-trick and Badri scored a half century. To top it all we won… What more do you want”, Bannu said.

“Grow up kid” said Kums.



Disclaimer: Everything said in this post need not be facts. There is an element of fiction added in order to kindle the interest in the reader. Readers are expected to take it sportively and if it hurts the sentiments or feelings of someone, the author is not responsible.

7 comments:

The Sport said...

dei dalda..ennada peru vechirukka.. veetla amma appa A B C D nu english solli kudukalai ??? next naraya facts distorted a irukku ...how can you refer to an super cool American bada** dude as a 'kid' !!! Anyways amazing post..will bring back the wonderful memories of he day even if I read it after 50 years

Anonymous said...

Ninju even keeps track of how much weight girls in his office are putting on or losing. And you say ninju hasnt grown up yet :-(

Anonymous said...

Njn: What “What else?” They are white and their face looks beautiful. What do you mean by what else?

Me: What else made you say they are hot?


Best part in the post. I bet evryone knew the answer :))

harish said...

Dai good one, you have really pictured the scene beautifully. Though I see some distorted facts, I really enjoyed the post. Keep doing it :)

Arvi said...

good one da :-)

Arvi said...

Few snaps @ IPL
http://picasaweb.google.com/a4arvi/IPLChennaiVsPunjab?authkey=li_KpKIMMSw

Unknown said...

hahaha gr8 start! am wondering how njn would feel after he "grows" up and reads this.. And I don't understand the title of the blog either! Supercool American Bada** dude !@#$%^ Can't stop laughing